20042 19th Avenue NE,
Shoreline, WA 98155
This position monitors, issues, receives, delivers, and stocks Central Services inventory items as directed to ensure that customers are never out of items needed for patient care. This position requires skills in working with computers in order to enter materials management information. Must be decisive, detail minded, have a strong mathematical skills, and excellent communication skills. Must also be able to problem-solve and work independently to assist customers. Must be able to lift up to 70 lbs., and push/pull carts weighing 150 lbs. Must be able to bend/stoop/reach and stand most of the day.
Hospital Central Service Tech provides a vital support to all patient care services in a healthcare facility. Central Service Technician is responsible for knowing all of the tools used in an operating room, as well as sterilizing and packaging instruments used during surgery. CST duties includes decontaminate, clean, process, assemble, store and distribute medical devices and supplies used in patient care.
Manual dexterity is one of the most important skills required of a Central Service Technician. Must perform tasks quickly and be adept at handling instruments. In order to provide the best possible patient care, applicant must use written and verbal communication skills to interact with nurses, surgical technologists and the surgical support team.
Employment opportunities are available in hospitals, outpatient surgical centers and clinics.
Provides support to Anesthesia Care Team in the care and maintenance of anesthesia supplies and equipment. Is responsible for maintaining the supply of inventory for anesthesia workroom and carts.
Make recommendations for additions and deletions which are consistent with good inventory management. Maintains a working knowledge of all equipment used in the department, and is able to set-up and calibrate all equipment as well as trouble-shoot routine malfunctions. Consistently demonstrates an understanding of clinical priorities and patient needs, and effectively communicates these to the Anesthesia Care Team. Competently performs hemodynamic monitoring as requested by the Anesthesia Care Provider. She/he maintains collaborative relationships with anesthesiologists, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists, OR Staff, PACU staff, SDC staff, vendor representatives, materials management staff, Engineering staff, and other hospital departments. The staff member in this position must be able to plan and assist in care delivered to patients of all ages.
High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalence
ASATT Certified preferred
Experience in a medically-related field with emphasis on anesthesia or cardiovascular patients and/or equipment.
Licensure or certification as LPN, EMT-III, RRT, HC or Certified Anesthesia Technician is highly recommended.
Knowledge and understanding of sterile technique and operating room protocol. Medical terminology desired.
Good mechanical aptitude a must.
Excellent in customer service and safe patient care; contributes to a work environment of caring and cooperation among culturally diverse workforce.
Demonstrated excellence in communication and interpersonal skills a must.
JOB SUMMARY: The sterile Processing Technician reprocesses and assembles specialized instruments and equipment utilized in the operative areas; maintains the instruments to ensure high performance during surgical procedures; operates specialized washers and sterilizers; documents required information and maintain records; ensures correct inventory numbers and restocks equipment and supplies as needed; follows policies, protocols techniques and guidelines; meets qualifications and competences as identified in the unit/department-specific plan for Providing Care; utilizes interpersonal skills to maximize customer service in a manner that supports the I CARE initiative, excellent in customer service and safe patient care; contributes to a work environment of caring and cooperation among a culturally diverse workforce. Perform other duties as assigned.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS: High school graduate or equivalent required. Central Service Technician Certification preferred. Two years experience in Central Service referred. Able to read, write legibly and speak in English with professional quality; use computer, printer and software programs necessary to the position; operate and troubleshoot patient care equipment required for the position. Must be able to safely lift or carry up to 50 lbs. Must be able to follow directions, perform basic math functions, manage multiple assignments effectively, organize and prioritize workload; work well under pressure; collaborate with RN to problem solve; recall information with accuracy; pay close attention to detail; organize and prioritize workload; work well under pressure.
Requirements: Full - Time
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs inventory, supply picking and supply restocking for Nursing and Ancillary patient areas to ensure disposable and reusable medical supplies and instruments are available for patient use. Restocks inventory locations within Central Service. Performs decontamination, sterile processing; performs other duties as assigned.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS: High school diploma or equivalent. CS Technician Certification preferred. Previous CS or hospital warehouse or distribution work in industry. Able to write legibly; speak; assemble equipment and perform activities as required; use computer and software programs necessary to the position. Able to communicate effectively and professionally with others, be assertive and consistent in following policies; work calmly and respond courteously when under pressure, collaborate with others; accept direction. Must be able to safely lift or carry up to 40 lbs. Communicate effectively in person, and on the telephone; perform basic math functions essential to position; think critically; organize and prioritize workload; manage multiple assignments effectively; work well with under pressure; problem solve; recall information; pay close attention to detail; document legibly; use computer for essential job duties.
- Full – Time
- AM / PM
- HS Diploma or equivalent
The CST and CST/CFA, under the administrative direction of the agency Staffing Coordinator and the clinical direction of the facility supervisor or designee, provide patient care in the surgical environment in compliance with agency and facility policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
I. Professional Accountability: (Evaluated by Alacrity Healthcare Staffing Recruiter)
- Provides the Recruiter with availability for work assignments.
- Accepts work assignments from Recruiter as desired, but at least one (1) shift per month.
- Assumes responsibility for completion of work assignments as scheduled.
- Completes agency in services and clinical competency requirements as required.
- Provides agency with required documentation in a timely manner for all licensure, in-service incidents and/or job-related injuries
- License renewal
- CEU/Clinical In-service validation
- TB Screening
- Injury/Incident reports
- Completes facility orientation and/or facility in-services as required.
- Arrives at facility on time for all scheduled shifts.
- Dressed appropriately and professionally for shift.
- Accepts clinical assignment from facility supervisor or designee and raises any concerns appropriately.
- Treats others (patients, residents, visitors and staff) with respect and dignity.
- Communicates effectively with others.
- Prepares the OR by
- Obtaining the appropriate supplies and instruments for the procedure
- Adjusting and testing equipment
- Connecting surgical equipment and monitoring devices
- Prepares and assumes responsibility for the maintenance of the sterile field.
- Prepares the patient for the procedure, including appropriate positioning and support.
- Handles instruments, supplies and equipment utilized during the surgical procedure safely and appropriately; anticipates the needs of and conveys instruments and supplies to the surgeon.
- Assists the surgeon as necessary by providing retraction and exposure of the operative site, and provides suctioning, irrigation and sponging as directed.
- Dispenses appropriate fluids and drugs as directed.
- Prepares specimens for pathologic analysis according to policy.
- Prepares suture material and assists with suturing and stapling.
- Applies and secures drainage systems and dressings.
- Completes room turnover in a timely manner according to policy.
- Functions in the role of circulator as needed.
- If certified to do so, functions as the First Assistant to the surgeon during the operation providing aid in exposure, hemostasis and other technical functions in accordance with hospital policy and state laws and regulations.
- Documents care according to facility policy and procedure, including counts for materials when functioning as circulator.
- Implements infection control and safely precautions and uses personal protective equipment appropriately.
- Safeguards patient rights at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of providing surgical care in the peri-operative environment, including transferring patients and standing for long periods of time, etc.
- Lifts 40 pounds without restriction consistent with AHCPR guidelines.
- Bend, squat and reach while positioning patients and assisting with hygiene and clothing.
- Must be able to use proper body mechanics during the provision of surgical care to promote patient and staff safety and well-being.
- Must be able to work in a latex-rich environment.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English.
- Graduate of a post-secondary program for surgical technologists.
- Current certification by LCC-ST as a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) or CST/CFA is strongly preferred
- Without certification, previous experience is required as are two recent performance evaluations and two letters of recommendations from surgeons.
- Evidence of current, relevant ongoing continuing education will be required for any CST not certified by LCC.
- Minimum of 6-12 months of previous surgical experience is strongly preferred; demonstration of clinical competency.
- Passing score on written knowledge test.
- Current CPR certification.
- Current negative TB skin test or baseline chest x-ray and annual TB screening questionnaire.
- Proof of negative 10-panel drug screen performed no more than forty-eight (48) hours after the pre-employment offer.
- Acceptable results from Health Screening process.
- Acceptable results from Criminal record check.
I understand the job description of the CST and CST/CFA. I am able to perform all the essential functions and Critical demands described. I meet all the qualifications listed.
The agency reserves the right to revise and modify this job description at any time.
Copyright © 2008 Healthcare Network. All Rights Reserved.